The Guymon Public Library and Arts Center (GPL) strives to provide the best service possible to the citizens of Guymon and Texas County (including Texhoma). The principles followed to accomplish this goal are adapted from the Public Library Association of the American Library Association in a document entitled, *The Public Library: Democracy’s Resource; A Statement of Principles
- Serve the entire community as a center for reliable information
- Provide opportunity and encouragement for children, young adults and adults to educate themselves continuously.
- Create opportunities for recreation and personal enrichment.
- Provide a place where inquiring minds may encounter the rich diversity of concepts.
- Assemble, make available and preserve organized collections of books, related materials and systems in which ideas and information are recorded.
- Employ staff with special skills, knowledge and abilities to help library users find the ideas, information and materials to meet their diverse interests.
- Initiate and promote information services, program events, exhibits, story hours, film showings, discussion groups and many other activities.
- Use assessment and planning processes to determine community needs and interests, often in cooperation with other community agencies and organizations.
- Develop services to meet those needs and interests.
This philosophy, in conjunction with the Library Bill of Rights, adopted by American Library Association, 1996, forms the basic structure of the Guymon Public Library and Arts Center’s policies and philosophy. Following is a listing and description of the services provided by the Guymon Public Library and Arts Center with guidelines and/or policies related to their use.
*Public Libraries. 21:3 (Fall, 1982), p. 92.
The Library Board is made up of individuals in the Guymon community who serve in an advisory capacity to the Library Director. Currently, the Board is comprised of the following members:
Donna Drebes- Chairwoman
Layla Clowers-Vice Chairwoman
Stop by the library for an application and ask to speak to Library Director Blair Henson